Thursday, December 13, 2018

How long should a developer work for one company?

Developers sometimes muse if it is worth staying in one company for many years or switching the company every once in a while instead. If you think about it yourself, read on.

I personally don't change my workplace often. There have been moments in my life, however, when I started feeling bad about the kind of job and about the people around me, and so much so that I had to send in my CV to other places.

If the current one is your first developer job, you should stick to it for at least 1.5-2 years, in my opinion. It is a time during which you can vastly broaden your knowledge and sharpen your skills. After this time, you can start sending in your CV to other places if:
  • you are not content with the position that you are in (e.g. you receive no promotion, you feel that they don't treat you well), 
  • the amount of money that you receive doesn't satisfy you, 
  • the people around you are not the ones that you like to meet every day and talk to, 
  • the management is not fair, 
  • and/or the overall atmosphere is bad.
List at list three important reasons why you would like to change your job. Then start looking for a new job and try to get to know if those negative issues will not happen if you change it to some other.

No comments:

Post a Comment