Saturday, December 1, 2018

Working from home as a developer

This article will briefly discuss the topic of remote working as a developer.

Some developers dream about working on a "home-office" basis all the time, and some indeed do it. Currently I am in-between jobs, and starting from September I will be working remotely almost all the time.

In my current company, it is virtually impossible to work from home even one day in a week, and that is for three main reasons:
  1. The company assumes that those who work from home in fact want to evade working.
  2. The team believes that we should communicate with one another during the day.
  3. Technically and probably most importantly, sometimes we need to test our applications on machines which are only available in our office laboratory.
You need a good reason if you want to work remotely one day, you have to ask about the possibility of that at least one day earlier, and your "home office" cannot take place more often than once in two or three weeks.



That said, I belong to those who are able to work from home and do this efficiently. Apart from that, I am very easily distracted by any kind of noise, social situation, and so on.

If you are not sure whether you belong to those who can work from home, then before starting to work remotely full-time, and if possible, it is advisable to try to work from home for several days in your current company. This way, you can check if you are able to focus and motivate yourself to work those eight hours without anyone over you to tell you exactly what you have to do and when.

For me, a supervisor is not only redundant but also kind of harmful: I like working according to my own rules, in my own apartment, where I have a dedicated table with an additional monitor and everything else I may need (like a printer, a pen, books I might refer to, and so on). I am also free to open the window anytime I want to, turn on the heater or a fan at any moment, run the dishwasher in the middle of the day, and so forth.

The only problem is with neighbors: they tend to be loud, one of them plays a musical instrument and doesn't care about anyone around, another one walks as if he was an elephant. How do you go about that?

No comments:

Post a Comment